Sometimes your only keto diet option is fast food keto while traveling whether it be for work, vacation, visiting family, or as a full time traveler.
Airport travel can be stressful and tiring. And the food options are usually limited to what’s quick and open. This often leaves fast food as you main or only choice to find a keto friendly meal on the go.
And at most fast food restaurants following a keto diet can be challenging.
So how do you stay on keto while traveling? What fast keto options are available at airport fast food restaurants?
In this article, we will be cover the five most common fast food options in airports and how to make them keto-friendly.
McDonald’s Fast Food Keto Options
It’s safe to say Mcdonald’s is nearly everywhere. It’s easily the most common food chain in airports around the US.
We’ve also seen them in many international airports.
When most people think about McDonald’s they think about the crispy french fries and the Big Mac with not just two but three pieces of bread!
But following a keto at McDonald’s can be simple if you follow these simple tips:
- Avoid bread and buns.
- No french fries or breaded food.
- No ketchup or dressings.
Some of our keto on the go favorites at McDonald’s:
- Bacon, egg, & cheese biscuit (no biscuit): 2 net carbs and just 180 calories. A great keto breakfast fast food treat.
- Cheeseburger with a beef patty, cheese, mustard, onions, and pickles: 2 net carbs and 140 calories. A great keto lunch.
- Double Cheeseburger with the same: 3 net carbs and has a slightly higher calorie count of 290 calories. For when you are a little more hungry.
Burger King Fast Food Keto Options
A close second behind McDonald’s in terms of travel keto fast food is Burger King, with over 400 locations in airports across the globe.
Doing keto at Burger King is similar to McDonald’s. There are a few tricks to make the King’s offerings more keto healthy.
The main things to keep in mind when doing keto at Burger King is:
- Avoid buns, wraps, bagels, french fries, biscuits, pancakes, breading, hash browns, tortillas, and desserts.
- No condiments besides mustard.
- For drinks, stick with water, black coffee, unsweetened iced tea, or Diet Coke products.
Our keto Burger King favorites are:
- Bacon & Cheese Whopper (no bun and no toppings): 370 calories and 3g net carbs
- Sausage Egg, & Cheese Croissan’wich (no bread): 310 calories and 3g net carbs
Chick-fil-A Keto Fast Food
Another common airport fast food keto option is Chick-fil-A.
At last count there were 35 Chick-fil-As in airports across the United States and Canada.
Since Chick-fil-A has grilled chicken options and amazing salads it’s easy to stick to a keto here.
Just stay as far away as possible from the Chick-fil-A Original Chicken Sandwich which clocks in at a whopping 44 grams of carbs. That’s twice as many carbs as anyone should have in a day – all in one small sandwich!
Below are a few things to keep in mind when the following keto at Chick-fil-A:
- Grilled chicken cuts carbs and breading.
- Eliminate buns and biscuits.
- Skip the fries and fresh lemonade.
The best keto options at Chick-fil-A:
- Cobb Salad w/ Grilled Filet: 10g net carbs and 390 calories. We find this very filling.
- Herb Ranch Dressing: 280 calories and 1 net carb. Not bad for a dressing!
- 8-piece Grilled Chicken Nuggets: 2 net carbs and 140 calories. But do not put any sauces on them other than mustard!
Subway Keto Fast Food
Also on the list of common airport fast food is Subway with around 250 locations locations in airports.
It’s easy to think of Subway as not keto-friendly. It is, after all, a subway sandwich shop!
However, with things so customizable at Subway it’s easy to create your own keto friendly option. For those of us following a keto diet there are a few essentials at Subway:
- Stick with the salads.
- Avoid bread, flatbreads, wraps, cookies, and chips.
- When in doubt, leave dressings and toppings out.
- In a pinch and a hurry, just get double meat and some veggies in a bowl.
Our top keto picks when eating Keto at Subway:
- Spicy Italian Salad without dressing: 300 Calories, 8 Net Carbs. This is super-filling.
- Healthies Dressing Vinaigrette: 35 Calories and 1g Net Carbs. If you must use dressing use this one.
- Steak, Egg, & Cheese: 220 Calories 5g Net Carbs. This protein bowl is very satisfying.
Other Airport Fast Food Restaurants
The same keto diet tips that apply to the most popular fast food restaurants also apply at any airport fast food restaurant.
Avoid buns, bread and sugary drinks. Stick to proteins, cheese and some vegetables. And avoid sauces like ketchup that contain loads of ‘secret sugar’.
For example, at a Mexican place like Chipotle, ask for a bowl with just meat and cheese.
And at any burger shop don’t be shy about asking for a hamburger or cheeseburger with no bun! They are totally used to it and will happily accommodate any request to make their fast food keto friendly.
Airport Grab and Go options can also be keto friendly. Eggs, protein packs, salads and packages of meat all make for an improvised fast food keto meal while traveling.
Just remember to get a plastic fork and knife to eat your double bacon cheeseburger with no bun or you will end up a sticky mess!
Bottom Line – Best Fast Food Keto Options for Travel
Following keto while traveling can be effortless. We’ve been doing keto for over 2 years as full time travelers.
There are three main things to remember. One is leave out the bread, wraps, and french fries.
Choose grilled meat options if possible.
Lastly, cut out extra toppings and dressings.
Being keto while traveling requires a bit of customization, but it’s so worth it.
So go visit somewhere new or see a old friend. Follow these tips and it’ll be painless to stick to a keto diet along the way!
Here are more helpful articles for having a successful keto diet while traveling: